The activities associated with determining and managing the disposition of supplier packaging, by-products, waste materials and/or scrap. This includes identifying the standard or order specific procedure for disposition, recording and submitting disposition requests and notify material handlers and/or operators.
- Supplier re-usable packaging (e.g. bins) pick-up request
- Order specific disposal of by-products/scrap
- Decision to sell scrap to a broker or grey market
- Select/determine treatment required to dispose of by-product
- Determine treatment required to repair/rework product failing inspection
Different industries dispose of different materials differently. In some industries by-products or scrap may be re-used as partial raw material. Packaging material may be used to generate energy. Others have re-usable packaging (e.g. bins) that are returned to the supplier. Scrap may be sold or dumped. Typically companies have policies that dictate how these materials are disposed of.
Note: Common inputs and outputs are listed in alphabetical order. Other inputs and outputs may be required to support varying use cases.