The activities associated with the scheduling of delivery resources and the selection of transportation mode, service provider and issuing a request for transportation services for product. This may include determining optimal transportation mode, route and service level to meet customer promise, building loads and tendering for transportation services. Typically transportation scheduling focuses on:
- Routing shipments (long haul and/or last mile)
- Coordinating shipments with resource availability
- Building loads
- Tendering -- where applicable
- Selecting the service provider
Delivery resource scheduling focuses on:
- Identifying installation/engineering skills
Once Delivery & Installation Scheduling is complete the order may be updated with the latest delivery information and a notification may be send to the resources, transportation parties and/or the customer.
- Installer scheduling
- Transportation of materials to customer site
- Customized transportation contracting
- External delivery resource contracting and scheduling
Many companies (Shipper) perform only a light version of this process as they have outsourced transportation. The transportation service provider (Carrier) will likely perform most of these tasks instead of the Shipper.
|D305||Schedule Delivery & Installation||3||D305|
Note: Common inputs and outputs are listed in alphabetical order. Other inputs and outputs may be required to support varying use cases.