The activities associated with developing a comprehensive plan to deliver goods and services to customers to support the supply chain operations plan. This process determines the deliveries, considering on-hand inventories, capacity, existing and expected orders and existing commitments from logistics and transportation service suppliers. This may include capacity planning for order management, material handling and transportation.
The purpose of Plan Deliver includes determining the estimated workload for each Deliver process and Plan Deliver may therefore include the replanning of existing orders based on the most recent inventory, capacity and order information.
- Order replanning; daily or weekly recalculation when and where existing orders will ship
- Return shipments planning for Reverse Logistics supply chains
- In a distribution center: Calculate monthly/weekly staffing requirements (pick, pack, load)
- In a distribution center: Calculate and communicate required fleet capacity (monthly, weekly, daily)
- In a manufacturing plant: Calculate transportation needs for shipments to Distribution Centers and warehouses
- In Retail: Home deliveries planning
The plan produced by Plan Deliver may be shared with outsourcing partners –such as third party logistics providers, freight forwarders.
Alternative names include: Order Rescheduling, Distribution Capacity Planning. Plan Deliver is part of DRP-II.
Note: Common inputs and outputs are listed in alphabetical order. Other inputs and outputs may be required to support varying use cases.